Our school's Board of Governors have a vital role in running our school.
The governing body is responsible for the strategic management of the school. It ensures accountability to the local community, and acts as a so-called 'critical friend', supporting the headteacher and deputy head, who are responsible with their senior staff for day to day management.
The governors determine the school budget, set attainment targets for the pupils each year, recruit the Head Teacher and Deputy Head, and are responsible for the Head Teacher's annual performance management.
Through the work of a series of sub-committees (for example; Finance and Curriculum) as well as visits to school by governors with specific responsibilities, the governors develop a good understanding of the operation of the school, and can advise the head on any aspect of the school's work.
The Full Governing Body normally meets five times a year.
Our governors are appointed or elected in the following categories:
- John Weise is our Chair of Governors
- Julie Ebbs is our Vice Chair of Governors
- Mr Comber, our Head Teacher, is also a Governor.
- Parent Governors (two). Nominated from amongst and elected by the parents and guardians of children at the school.
- Staff Governors (two, including the Head Teacher). Nominated from amongst and elected by the school staff.
- Headteacher Governor The headteacher is a governor by default, unless he or she (unusually) relinquishes the role.
- Local Authority Governors (one). Appointed by the Local Authority from amongst the political parties represented in the council.
- Co-Opted Governors (seven). Nominated and appointed by the governing body for their specific knowledge or expertise. They have voting rights on the Full Governing Body.
The Board of Governors have three main core elements of their work. They are:
- Setting the vision and strategic direction of the school
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the school's educational performance
- Ensuring financial resources are well spent
In this section we introduce you to our Governors and explain who they are and what they do. If you wish to contact the Board of Governors you can:
- e-mail the school office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- write to the Chair of Governors (via the school office)